Saturday 22 September 2012

Xin Cuisine Chinese Restaurant, Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium's Mooncakes

When my aunt came to my house claiming she has a surprise for me and my family, hinting it's one of my favourite food that is only eaten once a year, I already knew it was bound to be mooncakes given the time of the year. The only question that bugged me was whether it was the traditional oven baked or soft snowskins ones. Personally, I prefer the snowskins over the baked ones but as long as it's a well-made one, I'm more than happy to chomp them one by one.

Then came the distinctive footsteps of a office lady and like a small child waiting impatiently for his turn on the slide, I greeted her with a grin and she pass me a box and before she could say anything else, I rushed into the kitchen eager to see what's inside.
I have never heard of Xin Cuisine at Holiday Inn much less trying out their mooncakes. It was a first time experience with six in a row, pink and white. It was a sight to behold but hold a on sec. How's the taste? That, I was about to know...
All I know was how unique these two were. The pink ones known as Soursop & Chocolate Crunch was a total disaster just waiting to be munched. First bite was cold and powdery taste which is typical of all snowskins mooncakes. Subsequent chewing was made horrible with the sourness from the fruit with the crunchy chocolate bits within it. It wasn't even photo worthy when I tried to slice it. Everything just stick to the knife in bits and pieces. 

Where there are disappointments, all we need is just a saving grace to save the day. Grace came in the form of Champagne Chocolate & Pandan Lotus Paste. It was soft but definitely firmer. I was taken by surprise when I was consumed by the intense liquor taste emitted from the white chocolate core. The sweet green paste came only after the liquor aftertaste wears off. A wonderful experience if you are looking for alcoholic mooncakes in town.

I sort of realised how bakers are willing to push the extend of inventing new ones every single year. While some worked out great, there are always a few (in my opinion) will never work and one of which would surely be Soursop & Chocolate Crunch which will serve me as a reminder.

Xin Cuisine Chinese Restaurant
Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium
317 Outram Road, Singapore 169075
Tel: +65 6731 7173

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...