Monday 9 January 2012

Shin Minori: The Japanese feast

I hail from a family who loves buffets...

High Tea buffet...
Cantonese buffet...
International buffet...
Ice Cream buffet...
Italian buffet...

In essence, my family LOVES buffets! I mean who doesn't loves buffet? Apart from those who dreads growing fat that is but at least I don't!

It's the best way to try everything that a place can offer over a fixed price! It just excites me whenever I stroll down all the various food station, formulating a series of strategy of what I should eat more and what I should eat the most!

I don't always eat buffet due to the price tag but when I do, I am usually the last one to say "I'm done for the meal!" with a gratified smile of course. For me, I have develop a particular fondness for a special type of buffet. Japanese buffet.

What I like about Shin Minori....

1. It's usually quite quiet.
    Not many Singaporeans enjoy heading to UE square due to its' location...
    Though it's just a street away from my favorite food outspot, Robertson Quay!

2. It's a ala carte buffet.
    This means that all you have to do is to sit and eat.
    No need to get up and pave up and down thinking what you should eat...
    Everything is done through writing.

3. You're literally spoilt for choices!
    With 146 different types of dishes to indulge,
    Unless you have a nickname, Bottomless Pit...
    You will never be able to try every single one of them!
    But since I have that nickname, shouldn't be a problem for me :)

Trust me, I have a hard time deciding what to eat for myself. Much less my family who were hungry for  Japanese food but to make life easy for us, we started of with Sashimi and Sushi. 
From left to right, I could see Tai (Snapper), Hamachi (Yellow Tai), Mekajiki (Swordfish), Ika (Cuttlefish) Let's not even mention the gracious amount of Sake (Salmon)! The Tako (Octopus) are cute but they aren't fantastic compared to the fishes. A plate of fresh sashimi is the best way to kick-start your stomach to churn those Japanese Food!
Surprisingly, my favorite was the Maguro Sushi (Tuna) and not the Shake Sushi (Salmon). So much so that I ordered an extra 3 portions for myself almost immediately! If you do not know where, it's those three little redish meat on your left in the middle section.

Again, the Tako (Octopus) were not to my liking. I find the Unagi (Grilled Eel) to be a disappointment...
It's almost bland compared to what I had in the past. It's grilled alright but it seems that they didn't have a special sauce to pair with it. At least the Tamago (Omelette) and the Sake (Salmon) moderates it :)
Nothing beats a good bowl of Kake Soba. I was more than happy to slurp every single strand of that Buckwheat noodles and get another bowl :)
Kabocha Chawanmushi (Pumpkin Egg Custard). This is seriously a must try! It's even recommended by the chef! The pumpkin taste gives a oomph! feel to the entire eating experience! Forget about your normal Chawanmushi and give this a try instead! My family was hesitant at first but we ended up ordering an additional eight more cups. Three more cups ended up in my belly :)
I didn't really enjoy their Saba Shioyaki (Grilled Mackerel with Salt). It's a bit too dry and tough for me. I had a hard ripping off the meat with my chopsticks. The Shushamo (Pregnant Capelin) were interesting and enjoyable! There were roes within the little fish belly or else why would it be pregnant right?
Kani Tenpura (One Mouth Crab Tempura). Little pieces of tiny crab. It's like eating mini soft-shell crabs! Soft and crispy!
Katsu Kare (Pork Curry Rice). Deep Fried Katsu douse by in a gravy of Japanese curry. What more can I say other than to dig my spoon in? Small portion it maybe but that's the reason why you should continue eating more!
Tonkatsu (Pork Loin Chop in Bread Crumbs). This is one of my personal favorite! The meat was firm and tender despite being fried. Best eaten while it's hot!
More sushi anyone? At least I do!
Tako Yaki (Octopus Balls). Simple and nice but nothing special. This is the only time when I enjoy eating octopus.

After here, I decided to stop taking photos because I was lagging behind! Everyone were busy eating apart from me, busy snapping pictures! I also wanna enjoy my Japanese buffet too you know! Of the 146 dishes, I can daresay my family tried at least a good 80 of them!

There were some stuffs that were really worth eating and there were some that weren't but given the variety and the price ($35 per person for dinner), I think it's a definitely MUST TRY AND WORTH YOU MONEY JAPANESE BUFFET!

If you ever find yourself having a craving for Japanese buffets, just do yourself a BIG favor and head down to Shin Minori...

What's for dessert?
Well, TCC of course :)
I shall leave that till another time...

UE Square Shopping Mall #03-15/16
81 Clemenceau Avenue, Singapore 239917
Tel: +65 6733 2272

Lunch 11.30am to 2.30pm Last order 2.15pm
Price: Adult: $31.00++
Child:$21.00++

Dinner 6pm to 10.30pm Last order 9.45pm
Price: Adult: $35.00++
Child: $23.00++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...