Monday 20 August 2012

Astons Specialities: Unexpectedly good steaks

For me, Astons was like the last place on earth where I would consider a steak for dinner. I have countless bad experiences with their express outlets serving under cooked poultry and overcooked dishes. (I won't name the location of that particular outlet so don't ask.) I sort of suspect someone inexperienced is manning most of the kitchen which meant I will never get a steak from the same kitchen.

Never or I thought otherwise...

Beside the "valid" reason above this paragraph, I never once thought of entering the specialties shop at Cathay since it's almost always perpetually crowded with a stretch of people waiting for their tables. Arriving at 9pm makes no difference either.

One by one our steaks arrived at our al fresco table and I have to say, I was pretty skeptical that I would get a really good slab of beef but well, I was wrong when I took my first bite of the specialities Prime Rib X'tra Cuts ($18.50). It sure caught me by surprise, savoring each small one piece at a time. The sides were pretty plain and the accompanying mushroom sauce, I have to say was negligible.
Black Pepper Steak ($13.50) was the cheaper alternative of the ribeye steak. Served rare as my friend preferred then drenched in a sea of black sauce sauce and accompanied by your typical rings and greens.

It was a good night, conversing with five others steak lovers, ordering more and more sides just to keep our bellies full. Having steaks at their specialities shops sure changed my perceptions about Astons. I have to say though, it wasn't the best I had in the month but it was good enough to make out a meal off. Now we know where to find good and affordable steaks in town but since it's always crowded, I'm guessing I'm the last person to know?

The Cathay #04-03
2 Handy Road, Singapore 229233
Tel: +65 6887 5889

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...