Sunday 15 July 2012

Smoulder: Not just your mainstream Lava Cakes

Photo by ZX. Words by thedessertprince.

Flowing Molten Dark Chocolate. That's what I would usually think whenever I yearn for lava cakes. My impression of lava cakes was all about to change when I found a shop that specialize in nothing but lava cakes...
Drop by Smoulder and be surprised to see an array of nine different flavors along the shop's heat insulated counter. Signature Dark Chocolate, Intense Dark Chocolate, Dark Chocolate Black Forest, Milk Chocolate Mocha, Milk Chocolate Rum & Raisin, White Chocolate Matcha, White Chocolate Raspberry, White Chocolate Pistachio and White Chocolate Lemon.

Wait a minute. White Chocolate and what?! 

Yup. You didn't read wrongly. I got the same reaction when co-owner, Peida briefed me and my partner about their nine different flavored lava cakes. Initially, I was skeptical but once I tried them myself, I was amazed by the rich and unique experience Smoulder has to offer. 
On its own, white chocolate is creamy, milky if not overtly sweet even for a dessert fanatic like me but the unison with Pistachio brought the molten dessert to a whole new level. Basically you get the sweet consistency from the white chocolate and the subtle nuttiness of pistachio all in one. I don't know about you but personally, this was love at first sight taste. White Chocolate Pistachio is clearly my personal favorite!
Petite girly/office lady delight. That's how I like to think of White Chocolate Raspberry. Not being a sexist here since pink is my favorite color.
Looking for refreshments? How about giving White Chocolate Lemon a go? It's almost like having lemon curd in it's molten form! 
If you're daring, pick the subtle but rich flavors like Rum & Raisin or the equally rich but bittersweet Mocha. Trust me, you'll be surprised by the experience each flavors imparts. It's almost like eating a chocolate dessert that doesn't taste like anywhere near chocolate.

If you're haven't had any experience in lava cakes then my personal advice would be to try their Signature Dark Chocolate which is your mainstream lava cake first before venturing to the more exotic ones. As mainstream as it might be, Smoulder's Signature is an assurance of employing top notch Belgian Chocolate.

Oh if you're those kind of chocolate fan that loves bitter chocolate, then the Intense Dark Chocolate might be your preferred choice. I can't speak much of it yet since I didn't give it a try...
Hovering at $3.90 and situated just opposite China Square aka CBD, these bite-sized pleasures ain't your average student kind of dessert and more for the working adults looking for something sweet to pamper themselves after a simple budgeted lunch/rough day at work. But like MOST expensive desserts, it's an assurance of employing top quality ingredients in the making good quality lava cakes.
These softcore bakers might be new to the industry but they are definitely look into experimenting with new flavors, expansion and I'm looking forward to that day where I can have lava cakes for tea. I think I will drop-by soon and pick up the remaining flavors (Intense Dark Chocolate, Dark Chocolate Black Forest, White Chocolate Matcha) thereby completing my smoulder experience! 

China Square Food Centre #01-04
51 Telok Ayer Street, Singapore 048441
Tel: +65 6225 6422

PS: This is an invited media testing and thank you Smoulder and co-owner Peida for the hosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...