Wednesday 17 October 2012

Eng Kee Bak Kut Teh: Daydreaming of Bak Kut Teh

I've been busy. Busy over families and busy over friends and even more busy when school started just two days ago. Hence, the lack of posts since my last. So busy that I don't even have time for a quiet afternoon tea and then I start to wish my long term holiday could be just slightly longer but the truth is... often not quite up to expectation ain't it?

But I like to dream and daydream is my forte. Somehow, I kept dreaming of those tender pork ribs partially submerged in a bowl pepperish broth I had a few months back over at Eng Kee especially during the long hours of lectures. Although the stall is housed amidst the unassuming Teck Ghee Food Center, it's barely unnoticeable especially with the long queue in front of the stall. It's like everyone (that I know off) associate Teck Ghee Food Center with Eng Kee's bak kut teh and true enough, they even end up being recommended by KF Seetoh in his Makansutra 2011.
Although it has been quite a while since I had my last bowl at Eng Kee, I still vividly recall sinking my teeth into those ribs. It's a simple process. Pick the rib either with your hand or chopsticks from the pipping hot soup and then ripping your way till you hit hard bone. Of course, ripping is an overstatement since everything falls out with a simple pull. Afterwhich you tuck the bones next to your bowl of rice and take another one.
As a little rule of mine whenever I have bak kut teh. I must have you tiao. If there isn't a bowl of fried fritters, it ain't a complete bak kut teh meal! I really appreaciate the fact that these were served fresh and not stale.
Another of Eng Kee's specialty; ter ka or pig's trotters stewed for hours in a broth of black soy sauce. A must have if you're a die hard pig fan. It's no doubt sinful but given a chance, I'm willing to take the risk and attempt a bowl of fatty cholesterol on! Any friends care to tag along?

A bowl of rice to go with everything else and viola! A complete bak kut teh meal and how I wished I'm back for more again. And I guess I have to keep myself occupied daydreaming till another day...

Teck Ghee Court Market & Food Centre #01-04
Blk 341 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1 
Opening Hours: Tue–Sun: 8am – 3pm (Closed on Mon)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...